Prepping for your brand photoshoot shouldn’t be stressful, in fact, it should be fun! Investing in your business is a big action step towards attracting your dream clients, and I believe the process should be just as fun as receiving the highly-anticipated final images.
As a digital content creator and photographer, it’s my job to guide my clients along the process of prepping for their brand photoshoot and in this blog post I will share some ways I encourage my clients to do so. Even if you aren’t working with me for your brand photography, I hope this guide is a helpful resource in helping you prepare for the big day!
Set an Agenda
For each and every project, my process includes a branding questionnaire that allows me to learn more about the nature of my clients business, their ideal clients, visual branding elements, and any visual inspiration they find themselves drawn to (which includes their desired shots and poses they’d like captured).
This part of my process is essential to the success of our partnership because it allows myself and my clients to determine the art and creative direction we are taking when planning our time together. From there, I provide my clients with a detailed creative overview, shot list and visual references for us to reflect on.
Although you don’t have to have every second of the photoshoot accounted for, I encourage my clients to create a brief schedule we can look back on. Each outfit (detailed below) should be accounted for, as well as any flatlays you’d like with your selected props (outlined below). Try not to stress too much about the schedule, as there should always be room for spontaneity and your photographer will be there to guide you along the way.
Pick Your Outfits
Outfits are a super fun and important part of your photoshoot as they establish your overall brand vibe and help people get to know your personal style. What you wear sends a message to your audience and potential customers and clients. Think about items that you wear everyday that are comfortable, make you feel good, and are the best reflection of YOU.
PRO TIP: try matching elements of your outfits to your brand colours – whether it’s a top, an accessory or something else.
Here are some of my top tips when it comes to picking outfits:
- Plan 3-5 outfits depending on the length of your photoshoot
- If you want to take it one step further, hire a stylist to make this part easy for you!
- Include outfits in your schedule (detailed above)
- Try on your outfits ahead of time to make sure you love them
- Do any necessary washing, steaming or ironing the day/night before
- Pack your outfits in garment bags the night before to make sure you’re good to go the next morning – keep items for each outfit close together to ensure easy transitions
- Wear what makes you feel good
- Seasonal – you can mix and match outfits from different seasons to extend the longevity of your photos and use them all year round
Pack Your Props
Although I love every step of the process, collecting props for photoshoots is a highlight for me. I find myself collecting trendy and on-brand items that I see other creatives and influencers using, so I have no trouble in this department.
Think about items you use on a daily basis around your home or in your personal practices that would align with the vision you have for your brand. These could be items that are vital to your daily routine as well as items you use to run your business. These are all a reflection of you as a person, so include these in your brand photos! Here are some of my top tips when it comes to picking outfits:
- Make a list of items that you use on a daily basis for your business
- Pack your items in advance (use a laundry hamper, large tote bag, or basket to transport your items)
- Choose items that reflect your brand colours to include in your photoshoot
- If you are renting a photo studio, look at the studio’s social media page or inquire about which props they currently have on hand if you’d like to minimize transporting your own items
Remember, relax and have fun! The whole point of a brand shoot is to assist you with creating assets that will be available to you in order to authentically stand out online in your space. I urge you to have fun with the process, work closely with your photographer, and get excited to show up online with some sparkly new images to share!
If you’d like to book a branding session with me, you can view my service offerings with more details here, and if you’d like to inquire, you can check out my contact page to fill out a form. All branding and product packages include a comprehensive photoshoot prep guide.
Visit me on Instagram to keep up with my latest projects!